24 December 2009

meals (12.22)

since we couldn't move furniture on Saturday, we are moving it today. I dropped E at VRE and then drove to Manassas. I was hoping to avoid driving in the van in rush hour so I scheduled it for 10:00. I went to breakfast at Bob Evans. The parking lot there was full of FH Furr trucks. I thought it was a convention but I guess they just have a deal to park there when it snows.


breakfast


eggs, scrambled (2)
sausage, patties (2)
hash browns
biscuits (1.5) w/ sausage gravy
iced tea

they bring you a bowl of sausage gravy the size of Arkansas. I used about a third of it.


I missed the UHaul place the first time by even thought I'd checked it out before. With all of the snow around I didn't see the landmark I had noticed before and saw the UHaul sign as I drove by. I went down to Manassas Mall to turn-around. While at the Mall I drove to the Walmart side. I was going to buy a shower curtain for E and I asked the waitress at Bob Evans if the Walmart was still open since I knew it was supposed to move. She said it was now at Manassas Mall and that it is HUGE.


She was not kidding. The store was so big that I couldn't guess which door was likely to be closest so I decided not to go in.

When I passed the UHaul place I noticed there was no place to park. I parked at the Giant across the street. I'm not sure how I got across the street. The snow was still more than a foot deep on all of the medians and where the sidewalks should have been. The edges of the road were guarded by piles of snow 3-4 ft deep. Anyway I got across somehow without soaking my feet and rented the van.


It took a bit more than an hour to get to Alexandria. Most of the drive was not bad but you never feel like you can really see properly in a van. It was a thrill any time I had to change lanes quickly to avoid piles of snow. I took one wrong turn in Alexandria and finally got to the right street at about 11:15. Someone had been parked in the loading area for a long time so I ended up going around the block a few times until E showed me where I could park to wait for the loading zone. Finally got parked in the right place at around 11:35 and started moving furniture. I got to briefly meet E's boss and a few associates but everyone was pretty busy preparing for the move. E had a nice view from her window. Too bad the new office won't have such a nice view.


The lateral file we wanted most was so heavy we couldn't move it. In any case we got two tall book cases, one short book case and a file cabinet. It will be nice to get some of the books out of boxes. I started on the way back home at about 1:00. Traffic on the beltway has terrible. They had to close a lane for snow clearance and this brought traffic to a standstill many times.


I finally got home at about 2:30 and realized that I couldn't get in through the garage as usual since I didn't have my car. I had to navigate to the front door to get in. I got a pretty good soaking in the process. Unloading the truck by myself was quite fun. It took about 45 minutes to get everything in the house. I could not lift the file cabinet over the steps because my elbow was still sore from shoveling. had to fit it in the garage in order to move it later.


I had to stop to get gas on the way back. I would much rather have just turned the truck in and been done with it but the gas policy was absolutely ridiculous. Something like $35 for the first gallon or part of a gallon. I ended up putting in $20 worth of gas at the sieben elf next door to the UHaul. My $19.95 cargo van came out to almost $130 after insurance and mileage and dolly rental, etc. With the $20 in gas it cost nearly $150 to rent the gizmo.

I felt so much better when I got back to my car.


lunch

steak and cheese sub
chips
iced tea

at Firehouse Subs (http://www.firehousesubs.com/) in Manassas. I had never eaten at this place before. It was the best steak and cheese I've had in many years. Probably since I last went to Marino's in Arlington. I had lunch at 5:00. E's train would arrive at 7:25 in Bristow so I had to decide whether to go home kill 45 minutes and then go back to the train or run errands and go directly to the train. I was afraid that if I went home and took off my shoes I would probably fall asleep so I decided to run the errands.

snack

chocolate milk shake at Chick-fil-a

Very good. I wish they had a short shake about half the size of the original. Basically the size of a small frosty.

I picked up E at the train at about 7:35. They were a little late.

dinner

bagel with butter
iced tea

I don't remember much after that. I was about dead to the world by the time I finished my bagel.

No comments:

Post a Comment