08 November 2009

dinner (11.7)

I've been incredibly sluggish all day. Got a little work done in the ack emma and then just felt all of the energy drain out. Plained to grill hot dogs and cook chili and beans. Ended up minimizing!

three hot dogs (microwaved)
pretzels
iced tea

ice cream for dessert

I watched the pilot for Get Smart on DVD last night. 99 is so cute.

The episode had a voice over intro by B. Feldon. She said the pilot was the only episode shot in b&w. I would have sworn the first season was b&w. I remember sitting in the lunch room at W&M watching Get Smart with Brian Wolf and discussing the relative merit of the color and b&w episodes. Strange. I guess the memory she plays the tricks.

I saw about 20 minutes of The Duellists last evening. I remember seeing that movie when it came out (1978) and just being gob smacked by it. I can't imagine how anyone managed to fight or supervise fighting (or think or breath or ride a horse) in those uniforms. I don't think I gave K.C. enough credit for his performance way back when. Any actor tends to lose points in a period piece if he or she has a nasal American accent. (H.K. doesn't do as much talking!) I've never been able to watch Dangerous Liaisons because I find it impossible to believe John Malkovic as not only a French aristocrat but a suave French aristorcrat with that appalling voice! The cultured voice was as important as proper dress or appropriate parentage in that age. J.M. would not be playing any bedroom games with artisto babes with that god-awful flat voice of his.

Anyway, Keith Carradine is actually really solid in The Duellists. The French countryside in the final duel is as pretty a place as I have seen. The punchline, which is a fate worth than death for the Keitel character, is absolutely delicious. Remarkable that it is Ridley Scott's debut as a director. He would make Alien in '79 and Blade Runner in '82. I hope this is on DVD. I want to add it to my Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment