09 January 2010

meals (1.8.2010)

We had a light snow overnight. It might have been an inch but it was rather fluffy. None of the neighborhood streets have been touched.

b

cereal
banana
iced tea

Since the snow was so minor we decided to try to get to the VRE. Made the hill with no problem but the roads could get worse since the high won't get above freezing today.

Still hungry after dropping E. I added to my breakfast

bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit
iced tea

at Chick-fil-a

l

salad
crackers
cashews
coke
iced tea

d

chili mac
iced tea

I watched Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd on DVD. I was very surprised. I was not expecting to like it. J.D. did fine with his songs. A.R. and J.D. singing Pretty Women was delightful. H.B.C. did a nice job as Mrs. Lovett but she may have been too heavily influenced by Angela Lansbury. Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew in the Harry Potter movies) made a great Beadle Bamford. Sascha Baron Cohen was excellent as Pirelli.

(SBC's Pirelli made me think that he'd be excellent in a remake of the Court Jester in the Danny Kaye role. Alternatively, his character looked like one of Pinocchio's nemeses come to life.)

I've never seen the play in person but I've seen the recorded version with Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury. I have that cast recording on LP. I'd love to have it on CD. I have the Patty Lupone version on CD. Very different but cool.

The broadway version touches on the violence but abstracts it to a pretty high degree. At least for people who are used to hollywood's depictions of violence. I was afraid that a more graphic take on the violence like I expected from T.B. (and got) might diminish the story. On the contrary. I found it really emphasized the anguish Todd goes through. The murder of Mrs. Lovett is absolutely horrifying. But the closing pieta-like tableau of Todd's blood oozing across the face of his now-recognized wife: Shocking, heart-wrenching, beguiling, and in some strange way reassuring. Like they've now come together as they never could have in this world.

Well done, Mr. Burton!

No comments:

Post a Comment